THE MARIENTHAL FACTORY & WORKERS' SETTLEMENT

THE MARIENTHAL STUDY

SOURCES

CHRONICLE

PICTURES

BUILDINGS

MAPS

THE STUDY

THE PROJECT TEAM

LIBRARY

ARCHIVES

ARTISTS' VIEWS

     

INTRODUCTION
 
HOME
IMPRINT
FEEDBACK

 
DEUTSCH

The Marienthal Textile Factory

In the center of the Marienthal factory and workers’ settlement stood the factory, which gave the area its name. The flax-spinning mill was founded in 1820 and managed by Franz Xaver Wurm (1786–1860), shut down in 1827, and reopened as cotton-spinning mill by Hermann Todesco (1791–1844) in 1830. Transformed into an incorporated company (together with the Trumau textile factory) in 1864 and taken over by the Mautner company in 1925, the enterprise was until its shutdown in 1930 one of the most successful of the Austrian textile industry. Afterward, there was a small textile factory active on the site until 1961.

Click on an image to enlarge! Take care of the Copyright!

The factories of Trumau (founded 1838) and of Marienthal, combined to the Marienthal and Trumau Incorporated Spinning Mill Company in 1864.

Picture postcard 1904, [Paris: s.n.]; original 8,0 X 10,5 cm.

Source: Archives for the History of Sociology in Austria (Graz), »Marienthal« Virtual Archives, Walter Schmidt picture collection, call number 47/011.001.004.
© Copyright

Views of old Marienthal and the peasant village Gramatneusiedl.

Picture postcard about 1896, Deutsch-Wagram: A. Schwidernoch; original 9,0 X 14,8 cm.

Source: Archives for the History of Sociology in Austria (Graz), »Marienthal« Virtual Archives, Reinhard Müller picture collection, call number 47/100.001.003.
© Copyright

Views of old Marienthal.

Picture postcard about 1898, Wien: Kunstanstalt Karl Schwidernoch; original 9,0 X 13,8 cm.

Source: Archives for the History of Sociology in Austria (Graz), »Marienthal« Virtual Archives, Reinhard Müller picture collection, call number 47/100.001.004.
© Copyright

Views of old Marienthal and the peasant village Gramatneusiedl.

Picture postcard about 1899, Wien: Kunstanstalt Karl Schwidernoch; original 9,0 X 13,8 cm.

Source: Archives for the History of Sociology in Austria (Graz), Walter Dienstl: Marienthal-Gramatneusiedl picture collection, call number 43/254.
© Copyright

Complete view of the Marienthal textile factory.

Picture postcard about 1915, Gramat-Neusiedl: Verlag Franz Schmoranz; original 8,8 X 13,7 cm.

Source: Archives for the History of Sociology in Austria (Graz), Walter Dienstl: Marienthal-Gramatneusiedl picture collection, call number 43/237.
© Copyright

View of the Marienthal textile factory as seen from Neu-Reisenberg (part of the community of Reisenberg).

Picture postcard 1909, Wien: M. Heß; original 9,1 X 14,1 cm.

Source: Archives for the History of Sociology in Austria (Graz), Walter Dienstl: Marienthal-Gramatneusiedl picture collection, call number 43/180.
© Copyright

Views of old Marienthal.

Picture postcard 1907, [s.l.: s.n.]; original 9,4 X 14,1 cm.

Source: Archives for the History of Sociology in Austria (Graz), »Marienthal« Virtual Archives, Josef Hums picture collection, call number 47/032.001.001.
© Copyright

Main entrance of the Marienthal textile factory: left front, gatehouse, right front, a technical bureau, back left, spinning mill, back right, carding mill (all built 1847 to 1850).

Picture postcard about 1910, Grammat-Neusiedl: Franz Schmoranz; original 8,8 X 13,9 cm.

Source: Archives for the History of Sociology in Austria (Graz), »Marienthal« Virtual Archives, Georg Grausam picture collection, call number 47/012.001.015.
© Copyright

© Reinhard Müller
Status: June 2010

The Peasant Village
The Textile Factory
The Factory-owners
The Locality
Workmen’s Clubhouse
The Herrengarten
Settlement Communities
Clubs & Associations
Workers’ Athletic Club
Singing & Music
The First of May
The Social Democracy
Neu-Reisenberg
The 1920s
The Marienthal Study
National Socialism
World War II
End of the Factory
Revitalization of Marienthal
Marienthal – The Film
Objects

Short chronicle
Marienthal map
Start